Alenka Seliškar graduated from the Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana in 1993, obtained MSc degree in 1997 and PhD degree from veterinary anaesthesiology and intensive therapy in 2000. She has been employed by Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana since 1994. In year 2000, she spent six months working at University of Cambridge in UK, and a year later as visiting fellow of Fitzwilliam College.
She has been appointed as an Associate Professor of Veterinary medicine and gives lectures from Anaesthesia, reanimation and intensive therapy at undergraduate level and lectures from Veterinary anaesthesiology and Contemporary methods in small animal emergency medicine at postgraduate interdisciplinary doctoral programme Biomedicine at University of Ljubljana. She has been a tutor or co-tutor of three doctoral dissertations, one master thesis and four student research theses.
She was Head of the Small Animal Clinic in years 2012 to 2017. She is Head of Anaesthesia Department of the Small Animal Clinic and a member of Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists. She has been a member of managing board of Slovenian Small Animal Veterinary Association since 2002; she was the president of Association in years 2008 to 2010 and 2014 to 2016. Since 2018, she is a court-appointed expert for Veterinary medicine, subsection Medicine of dogs and cats. She is a reviewer in international scientific and professional journals, author of several scientific and professional articles and co-author of three university textbooks.
She is involved in clinical work, teaching and research from veterinary anaesthesiology and dog and cat pain management. In 2019, she collaborated in a research which was ranked among achievements of the project Excellence in Science of Slovenian Research Agency.
- Neurological and histological outcomes after subarachnoid injection of a liposomal bupivacaine suspension in pigs: a pilot study
- Large liver blood vessels and bile ducts are not damaged by electrochemotherapy with bleomycin in pigs
- Neurotoxicity of perineural vs intraneural-extrafascicular injection of liposomal bupivacaine in the porcine model of sciatic nerve block
- Pulmonary circulation transvascular fluid fluxes do not change during general anesthesia in dogs
- Radiological findings of porcine liver after electrochemotherapy with bleomycin
- Comparison of high definition oscillometric and Doppler ultrasound devices with invasive blood pressure in anaesthetized dogs
- Comparison of high definition oscillometric and Doppler ultrasonic devices for measuring blood pressure in anaesthetised cats
- Neurotoxicity of intraneural injection of bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension versus bupivacaine hydrochloride in a porcine model
- Cardiac troponin I in dogs anaesthetized with propofol and sevoflurane: the influence of medetomidine premedication and inspired oxygen fraction
- Evaluation of oscillometric blood pressure monitor BLT M9000 VET in anaesthetised healthy adult dogs
- Assessment of acid-base status and plasma lactate concentrations in arterial, mixed venous, and portal blood from dogs during experimental hepatic blood inflow occlusion
- Total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol or propofol/ketamine in spontaneously breathing dogs premedicated with medetomidine
- Plasma coenzyme Q10 concentration, antioxidant status, and serum N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide concentration in dogs with various cardiovascular diseases and the effect of cardiac treatment on measured variables
- Anestezija laboratorijskih živali. V: Kubale, Valentina (ur.). Poskusne živali v biomedicinskih raziskavah : učbenik za delo s poskusnimi živalmi. 1. izd. Ljubljana: Veterinarska fakulteta, 2012, str. 173-185.
- Anestezija psov in mačk z boleznimi srca. V: Domanjko-Petrič, Aleksandra (ur.). Bolezni srčno-žilnega sistema psov in mačk. Ljubljana: Veterinarska fakulteta, 2010, str. 103-112.
- Etiologija, diagnostika in zdravljenje motenj ritma med anestezijo. V: Domanjko-Petrič, Aleksandra (ur.). Bolezni srčno-žilnega sistema psov in mačk. Ljubljana: Veterinarska fakulteta, 2010, str. 113-131.
- Osnovna načela premedikacije, sedacije in analgezije. V: Butinar, Janoš, et al. Osnove anestezije malih živali. Ljubljana: Veterinarska fakulteta, 1997, str. 13-36.
- Intravenski anestetiki. V: Butinar, Janoš, et al. Osnove anestezije malih živali. Ljubljana: Veterinarska fakulteta, 1997, str. 73-86.