Aleksandra Domanjko-Petrič was drawn to the Veterinary Faculty by her love of horses; for 15 years she competed in show jumping, including as a member of the Slovene and Yugoslav show-jumping teams.
In 1985, she graduated from the Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana. During her studies and afterwards, she was also involved in a rescue dog training (avalanche, rubble and field search). Working with dogs and owning her own dog and cat gave her a deep love for these animals, and she decided to work in a small animal practice. After one year of inspection work and two years of mixed field practice, she applied for a master’s degree. After finishing Master Thesis and her PhD, she worked as a young researcher at the Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana. Her master’s thesis (completed in 1991) was in the field of ultrasonography, specifically in the ultrasound-guided biopsies. Her PhD thesis was on echocardiography of the left ventricular function (completed in 1994). She introduced ultrasound methods and veterinary cardiology to small animal and equine medicine in Slovenia. In addition to the Veterinary Faculty in Ljubljana, her education took place at different teaching hospitals: University Clinic at Nairobi, Kenya, University Clinical Centre, Department for Ultrasonography in Ljubljana, Edinburgh, Scotland – The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies in 1992, William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of California-Davis, in 1992 and 1994–1995 as a Fulbright scholar and at the Royal Veterinary College in London. She is the author of many scientific and professional papers and a book titled “Cardiovascular diseases in dogs and cats”. She is a member of the European Society of Veterinary Cardiology (ESVC).
She is involved with clinical work in veterinary cardiology and ultrasonography, teaching and research of various aspects of cardiovascular diseases in dogs and cats.
- Holter monitoring of small breed dogs with advanced myxomatous mitral valve disease with and without a history of syncope (vir)
- Comparison of high definition oscillometric and Doppler ultrasound devices with invasive blood pressure in anaesthetized dogs (vir)
- Two-dimensionally-guided M-mode and pulsed wave Doppler echocardiographic evaluation of the ventricles of apparently healthy cats (vir)
- Advanced electrocardiography parameters change with severity of mitral regurgitation in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in sinus rhythm (vir)
- Comparison of high definition oscillometric and Doppler ultrasonic devices for measuring blood pressure in anaesthetised cats (vir)
- The efficacy of antihistamine fexofenadine versus methylprednisolone in the treatment of atopic dermatitis in dogs (vir)
- Aortic stenosis in dogs: clinical characteristics and survival in 80 cases (vir)
- Polycystic kidney disease : a review and occurrence in Slovenia with copmarison between ultrasound and genetic testing (vir)
- Necrotizing fasciitis caused by Serratia marcescens after tooth in a Doberman Pinscher : a case report (vir)
- Echocardiographic diastolic indices of the left ventricle in normal doberman pinschers and retrievers = [Ehokardiografski diastolični indeksi levega prekata pri zdravih dobermanih in prinašalcih] (vir)
- Evaluation of the phospholamban gene in purebred large-breed dogs with dilated cardiomyopathy (vir)
- The canine sarcoglycan delta gene : BAC clone contig assembly, chromosome assignment and interrogation as a candidate gene for dilated cardiomyopathy in Dobermann dogs (vir)
- Characterization of the canine desmin (DES) gene and evaluation as a candidate gene for dilated cardiomyopathy in the Dobermann (vir)
- Dilated cardiomyopathy in doberman pinschers : survival, cause of death and a pedigree review in a related line (vir)
- Diagnostic methods of cardiomyopathy in dogs – old and new perspectives and methods : Diagnostične metode za ugotavljanje dilatacijske kardiomiopatije pri psih – pregled starih in novih pogledov in metod (vir)
- Nokardiose bei Katze und Hund: zwei Fallstudien.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs = Dilatativna kardiomiopatija pri psih
- Dilatativna kardiomiopatija pri psih = Dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs.
- Ultrasound guided fine-needle percutaneous aspiration biopsy of liver in the dog.
- Ultrazvočno vodena biopsija ledvice pri psu.
- Praktikum za vodnike reševalnih psov. 1. natis.
- Bolezni srčno-žilnega sistema psov in mačk.
- Prva pomoč za psa in nekatere bolezni pri psih (Priročnik za lastnike in skrbnike psov).
- Aortic Stenosis in Dogs and Cats: Past, Present and Future.