Tanja Plavec graduated as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia in 2003. She continued with a multi-disciplinary PhD program in Biomedicine at the University of Ljubljana, while working as a veterinarian at the Small Animal Clinic of the Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana. She was focusing on research in the antioxidant status of oncologic patients under the mentorship of Prof. Dr. Janoš Butinar. During that time she spent a year at the Hofheim Veterinary Clinic.
She was awarded her PhD in 2008 and after that she was involved in teaching the students surgical skills until June 2018. In 2018 she proceeded her professional path at the Hofheim Veterinary Clinic, where she was working especially in veterinary oncology and surgical oncology under guidance of Dr. Martin Kessler, Dipl ECVIM-CA (Onc) and Dr. Jarno Schmidt, Dipl ECVIM-CA (Onc). Since November 2021 Tanja is again a member of Small Animal Clinic at the Veterinary Faculty of Ljubljana, and is responsible for soft tissue and oncologic surgery.
Tanja Plavec is also an active member of the European Society of Veterinary Oncology and Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology and reviewer and author of research and professional papers in oncology and surgery. Her main research interest is surgical oncology, multimodality treatment in oncology and surgery of the perianal region. In her free time Tanja is a passionate mountaineer and a photographer, where she is accompanied with her loyal Tibetan terrier Lajk.
Important scientific articles
- Plavec T, Švara T, Tozon N, Pavlin D. Spontaneous rupture of the lymph nodes as a cause of haemoabdomen in two canine lymphoma patients : case report. Veterinární medicína. 2020, vol. 65, no. 7, str. 314-319.
- Plavec T, Rupp S, Kessler M. Colonic or ileocecocolic volvulus in 13 dogs (2005-2016). Vet Surg. 2017 Aug;46(6):851-859.
- Plavec T, Švara T, Zdovc I, Gombač M, Damjanovska M, Stopar Pintarič T, Cvetko E, Seliškar A. Clinical and histologic tissue responses of skin incisions closed with glycomer 631 and lactomer 9-1 using a subcuticular technique in pigs. BMC Vet Res. 2020 Feb 24;16(1):87.
- Plavec T, Pavlin D. Surgical correction of labial fusion with vaginoplasty in a cat. J Feline Med Surg. 2013 Jun;15(6):520-3.
- Plavec T, Zdovc I, Juntes P, Švara T, Suhadolc S, Nemec A, Domanjko-Petrič A, Tozon N. Necrotizing fasciitis caused by Serratia marcescens after tooth in a Doberman Pinscher : a case report. Veterinární medicína. 2008, vol. 53, no. 11, str. 629-635.
- Plavec T, Kessler M, Kandel B, Schwietzer A, Roleff S. Palliative radiotherapy as treatment for non-resectable soft tissue sarcomas in the dog – a report of 15 cases. Vet Comp Oncol. 2006 Jun;4(2):98-103.
- Plavec T, Nemec Svete A, Butinar J, Tozon N, Prezelj M, Kandel B, Kessler M. Antioxidant status in canine cancer patients. Acta veterinaria. 2008, vol. 58, no. 2/3, str. 275-286.
- Plavec T, Celinšek B, Dolinar K, Pečar J, Nemec Svete A, Butinar J. Haemostasis impairment in bitches with pyometra. Acta veterinaria. 2006, vol. 56, no. 5/6, str. 529-540.
- Zakošek Pipan M, Kajdič L, Kalin A, Plavec T, Zdovc I. Do newborn puppies have their own microbiota at birth? Influence of type of birth on newborn puppy microbiota. Theriogenology. 2020 Aug;152:18-28.
- Zmuc J, Gasljevic G, Sersa G, Edhemovic I, Boc N, Seliskar A, Plavec T, Brloznik M, Milevoj N, Brecelj E, Kos B, Izlakar J, Jarm T, Snoj M, Stukelj M, Miklavcic D, Cemazar M. Large Liver Blood Vessels and Bile Ducts Are Not Damaged by Electrochemotherapy with Bleomycin in Pigs. Sci Rep. 2019 Mar 6;9(1):3649.
- Damjanovska M, Cvetko E, Hadzic A, Seliskar A, Plavec T, Mis K, Vuckovic Hasanbegovic I, Stopar Pintaric T. Neurotoxicity of perineural vs intraneural-extrafascicular injection of liposomal bupivacaine in the porcine model of sciatic nerve block. Anaesthesia. 2015 Dec;70(12):1418-26.
- Damjanovska M, Cvetko E, Kuroda MM, Seliskar A, Plavec T, Mis K, Podbregar M, Pintaric TS. Neurotoxicity of intraneural injection of bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension versus bupivacaine hydrochloride in a porcine model. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2019 Mar;46(2):236-245.
- Kajdič L, Plavec T, Zdovc I, Kalin A, Zakošek Pipan M. Impact of Type of Parturition on Colostrum Microbiota Composition and Puppy Survival. Animals (Basel). 2021 Jun 25;11(7):1897.
- Cugmas B, Plavec T, Bregar M, Naglič P, Pernuš F, Likar B, Bürmen M. Detection of canine skin and subcutaneous tumors by visible and near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Mar;20(3):037003.